Meanwhile M. Cavalcanti the elder had returned to his service, not in the army of his majesty the Emperor of Austria, but at the gaming-table of the baths of Lucca, of which he was one of the most assiduous courtiers. —
与此同时,卡瓦尔坎蒂先生回到了自己的工作岗位,不再是奥地利皇帝的军队,而是在卢卡温泉的赌桌上,成为其中最勤奋的官员之一。 —

He had spent every farthing that had been allowed for his journey as a reward for the majestic and solemn manner in which he had maintained his assumed character of father.
他把旅行中的每一分钱都花光了,作为他保持自己扮演父亲角色的威严庄重的报酬。

M. Andrea at his departure inherited all the papers which proved that he had indeed the honor of being the son of the Marquis Bartolomeo and the Marchioness Oliva Corsinari. —
安德烈在他离开时继承了所有证明他确实是巴托洛梅奥侯爵和奥利瓦·科尔西纳里侯爵夫人之子的文件。 —

He was now fairly launched in that Parisian society which gives such ready access to foreigners, and treats them, not as they really are, but as they wish to be considered. —
他现在完全进入了巴黎社交圈子,这个圈子对外国人非常友好,对他们的待遇不是根据他们的真实身份,而是根据他们希望被认为是什么样子来决定的。 —

Besides, what is required of a young man in Paris? —
此外,在巴黎,对于一个年轻人需要些什么呢? —

To speak its language tolerably, to make a good appearance, to be a good gamester, and to pay in cash. —
要能够通顺地说巴黎话,要穿着得体,要是一个擅长赌博的人,并且要付现金。 —

They are certainly less particular with a foreigner than with a Frenchman. —
他们对外国人的要求肯定比对法国人要低一些。 —

Andrea had, then, in a fortnight, attained a very fair position. —
在这两个星期里,安德烈获得了一个非常不错的职位。 —

He was called count, he was said to possess 50,000 livres per annum; —
他被称为伯爵,据说他每年有五万里弗的收入; —

and his father’s immense riches, buried in the quarries of Saravezza, were a constant theme. —
他父亲在萨拉韦扎的采石场埋藏的巨额财富则一直是一个常谈的话题。 —

A learned man, before whom the last circumstance was mentioned as a fact, declared he had seen the quarries in question, which gave great weight to assertions hitherto somewhat doubtful, but which now assumed the garb of reality.
一位博学的人士,在听到最后一条消息之后,断言他曾见过相关采石场,这为之前有些存疑的断言带来了很大的支持,使其真实性变得更加可信。

Such was the state of society in Paris at the period we bring before our readers, when Monte Cristo went one evening to pay M. Danglars a visit. —
巴黎的社会在我们为读者揭开的这个时期正处于这种状态下,蒙蒂克里斯托一个晚上去拜访丹格拉先生。 —

M. Danglars was out, but the count was asked to go and see the baroness, and he accepted the invitation. —
丹格拉先生出门了,但是求之以礼的蒙蒂克里斯托接受了拜访巴伦夫人的邀请。 —

It was never without a nervous shudder, since the dinner at Auteuil, and the events which followed it, that Madame Danglars heard Monte Cristo’s name announced. —
自从奥特奥餐厅的晚宴及随后的事件以后,丹格拉夫人一听到蒙蒂克里斯托的名字就会感到紧张不安。 —

If he did not come, the painful sensation became most intense; —
如果他没有来,这种痛苦的感觉就会变得更加强烈。 —

if, on the contrary, he appeared, his noble countenance, his brilliant eyes, his amiability, his polite attention even towards Madame Danglars, soon dispelled every impression of fear. —
相反,如果他出现了,他高贵的面容、明亮的眼睛、友善的态度,甚至对达格拉夫夫人的礼貌关注很快就消除了所有的恐惧印象。 —

It appeared impossible to the baroness that a man of such delightfully pleasing manners should entertain evil designs against her; —
这让巴伦夫人觉得不可思议,一个举止如此令人愉快的人怎么会对她心怀恶意。 —

besides, the most corrupt minds only suspect evil when it would answer some interested end—useless injury is repugnant to every mind.
此外,只有最腐败的心灵在某种利益需要的情况下才会怀疑恶意――毫无意义的伤害是每个人心灵所厌恶的。

When Monte Cristo entered the boudoir, to which we have already once introduced our readers, and where the baroness was examining some drawings, which her daughter passed to her after having looked at them with M. Cavalcanti, his presence soon produced its usual effect, and it was with smiles that the baroness received the count, although she had been a little disconcerted at the announcement of his name. —
当蒙特克里斯托走进这间我们已经向读者介绍过一次的女士间,巴伦夫人正在审视一些画作,是她女儿与卡瓦尔坎蒂先生一起看过后递给她的,他的到来很快就产生了预期的效果,对于蒙特克里斯托的到来,巴伦夫人虽然在听到他的名字时有些困惑,却以微笑迎接了他。 —

The latter took in the whole scene at a glance.
后者一眼就看到了整个场景。

The baroness was partially reclining on a sofa, Eugénie sat near her, and Cavalcanti was standing. —
男爵夫人部分地靠在沙发上,歐仁妮坐在她旁边,卡瓦尔坦站着。 —

Cavalcanti, dressed in black, like one of Goethe’s heroes, with varnished shoes and white silk open-worked stockings, passed a white and tolerably nice-looking hand through his light hair, and so displayed a sparkling diamond, that in spite of Monte Cristo’s advice the vain young man had been unable to resist putting on his little finger. —
卡瓦尔坦身穿黑色,犹如歌德的英雄之一,穿着亮光鞋和白色丝绸镂空袜,用一只白皙而相当好看的手从他的淡金发中滑过,这样展示了一颗闪闪发亮的钻石,尽管蒙特克里斯托曾劝阻,这个虚荣的年轻人还是忍不住戴在小指上。 —

This movement was accompanied by killing glances at Mademoiselle Danglars, and by sighs launched in the same direction.
这个动作伴随着对当格拉小姐致命的眼神和放出的叹息。

Mademoiselle Danglars was still the same—cold, beautiful, and satirical. —
当格拉小姐依旧一样冷漠、美丽和讽刺。 —

Not one of these glances, nor one sigh, was lost on her; —
她没有错过其中任何一个眼神,也没有错过任何一个叹息; —

they might have been said to fall on the shield of Minerva, which some philosophers assert protected sometimes the breast of Sappho. —
可以说它们落在了弥涅瓦的盾牌上,一些哲学家声称这个盾牌有时会保护莎appo的胸膛。 —

Eugénie bowed coldly to the count, and availed herself of the first moment when the conversation became earnest to escape to her study, whence very soon two cheerful and noisy voices being heard in connection with occasional notes of the piano assured Monte Cristo that Mademoiselle Danglars preferred to his society and to that of M. Cavalcanti the company of Mademoiselle Louise d’Armilly, her singing teacher.
尤金尼冷冷地向伯爵鞠了一躬,趁着谈话变得认真的第一时间逃到她的书房里。蒙特克里斯托听到琴声偶尔混杂着两个欢快而嘈杂的声音,可以肯定唐格拉尔小姐更喜欢和她的音乐老师路易丝·达米利在一起,而不是他和卡瓦尔坎蒂先生的社交。

It was then, especially while conversing with Madame Danglars, and apparently absorbed by the charm of the conversation, that the count noticed M. Andrea Cavalcanti’s solicitude, his manner of listening to the music at the door he dared not pass, and of manifesting his admiration.
尤其是在与唐格拉尔夫人交谈时,蒙特克里斯托观察到了安德烈·卡瓦尔坎蒂的关切,他对门外音乐的倾听方式,以及他显示出的钦佩之情。

The banker soon returned. His first look was certainly directed towards Monte Cristo, but the second was for Andrea. —
银行家很快回来了。他的第一个目光无疑是对准了蒙特克里斯托,但第二个目光则是给了安德烈。 —

As for his wife, he bowed to her, as some husbands do to their wives, but in a way that bachelors will never comprehend, until a very extensive code is published on conjugal life.
至于他的妻子,他像一些丈夫对待妻子那样对她鞠了一躬,但这个方式只有单身汉们永远无法理解,除非在婚姻生活方面出版一部非常详尽的法典。

“Have not the ladies invited you to join them at the piano?” said Danglars to Andrea.
“难道女士们没有邀请你和她们一起弹琴吗?” 当格拉尔对安德烈说道。

“Alas, no, sir,” replied Andrea with a sigh, still more remarkable than the former ones. —
“唉,没有,先生。” 安德烈叹息着回答道,这个叹息比之前的更加显著。 —

Danglars immediately advanced towards the door and opened it.
当格拉尔立即走向门口并打开了门。

The two young ladies were seen seated on the same chair, at the piano, accompanying themselves, each with one hand, a fancy to which they had accustomed themselves, and performed admirably. —
两个年轻女士坐在同一把椅子上,在钢琴前自弹自唱,每人只用一只手,这是她们早已习惯的一种新奇方式,并且表演得非常出色。 —

Mademoiselle d’Armilly, whom they then perceived through the open doorway, formed with Eugénie one of the tableaux vivants of which the Germans are so fond. —
他们透过敞开的门口看到了d’阿米利小姐,她与尤金妮一起形成了德国人如此喜欢的一幅“活画”。 —

She was somewhat beautiful, and exquisitely formed—a little fairy-like figure, with large curls falling on her neck, which was rather too long, as Perugino sometimes makes his Virgins, and her eyes dull from fatigue. —
她身材有些美丽,完美无瑕的身形,一个小仙女样的身材,长发垂落在她有些长的脖子上,有点像佩鲁吉诺有时创作的圣母像,她的眼睛因为疲劳而黯淡。 —

She was said to have a weak chest, and like Antonia in the Cremona Violin, she would die one day while singing.
据说她胸腔虚弱,就像《克雷莫纳小提琴》中的安东尼娅一样,她有一天会在歌唱时去世。

Monte Cristo cast one rapid and curious glance round this sanctum; —
蒙特·克里斯托大胆而好奇地环视了这个圣所; —

it was the first time he had ever seen Mademoiselle d’Armilly, of whom he had heard much.
这是他第一次见到德尔米丽小姐,他曾经听说过她很多。

“Well,” said the banker to his daughter, “are we then all to be excluded?”
“嗯,”银行家对女儿说道,”我们难道都要被排除在外吗?”

He then led the young man into the study, and either by chance or manœuvre the door was partially closed after Andrea, so that from the place where they sat neither the Count nor the baroness could see anything; —
然后他把年轻人带进书房,千方百计地把大门部分关闭在安德烈后面,以至于从他们坐的地方,既不能看到伯爵,也不能看到男爵夫人; —

but as the banker had accompanied Andrea, Madame Danglars appeared to take no notice of it.
但是由于银行家陪伴着安德烈,当时的达格拉夫夫人似乎没有注意到这一点。

The count soon heard Andrea’s voice, singing a Corsican song, accompanied by the piano. —
伯爵很快听到了安德烈的声音,他正在弹奏钢琴伴奏着一首科西嘉歌曲。 —

While the count smiled at hearing this song, which made him lose sight of Andrea in the recollection of Benedetto, Madame Danglars was boasting to Monte Cristo of her husband’s strength of mind, who that very morning had lost three or four hundred thousand francs by a failure at Milan. The praise was well deserved, for had not the count heard it from the baroness, or by one of those means by which he knew everything, the baron’s countenance would not have led him to suspect it.
当伯爵听到这首歌时微笑了,这使他在回忆贝内代托的时候失去了对安德烈亚的关注,而达格拉夫夫人正向蒙德·克里斯托夸耀她丈夫的意志力,因为当天早上他在米兰的损失了三四十万法郎。这种赞美是应该的,如果不是伯爵从男爵夫人那里听到的,或者是他了解一切的方法之一,男爵的表情不会让他怀疑这一点。

“Hem,” thought Monte Cristo, “he begins to conceal his losses; —
“嗯,”蒙德·克里斯托想,“他开始隐瞒他的损失了;一个月前他还夸耀着。” —

a month since he boasted of them.”
然后大声说:“噢,夫人,达格拉夫先生如此熟练,他很快就能在证交所找回他在其他地方的损失。”

Then aloud,—“Oh, madame, M. Danglars is so skilful, he will soon regain at the Bourse what he loses elsewhere.”
“我看到您参与了一种普遍的错误,”达格拉夫夫人说。

“I see that you participate in a prevalent error,” said Madame Danglars.
“是什么错误?”蒙德·克里斯托问道。

“What is it?” said Monte Cristo.
“那是达格拉夫先生在投机,而他从来没有这样做过,”达格拉夫夫人说。

“That M. Danglars speculates, whereas he never does.”
“那个M.丹格拉尔进行投机交易,而他从来不这样做。”

“Truly, madame, I recollect M. Debray told me——apropos, what has become of him? I have seen nothing of him the last three or four days.”
“真的,夫人,我记得德布雷先生告诉我——顺便说一句,他最近三四天没出现过。

“Nor I,” said Madame Danglars; “but you began a sentence, sir, and did not finish.”
“我也是”,邓格拉夫人说,“但先生,你开始了一个句子,却没有说完。”

“Which?”
“哪一个?”

“M. Debray had told you——”
“德布雷先生告诉你——”

“Ah, yes; he told me it was you who sacrificed to the demon of speculation.”
“啊,是的,他告诉我是你牺牲给投机魔鬼的。”

“I was once very fond of it, but I do not indulge now.”
“我曾经非常喜欢投机,但现在不再沉迷于其中。”

“Then you are wrong, madame. Fortune is precarious; —
“那么,你错了,夫人。财富是不可靠的;如果我是一个女人,命运让我成为一个银行家的妻子,无论我对丈夫好运的信心有多大,投机仍然存在很大的风险。 —

and if I were a woman and fate had made me a banker’s wife, whatever might be my confidence in my husband’s good fortune, still in speculation you know there is great risk. —
嗯,我会为自己确立一个独立于他的财富,即使是通过将我的利益放在他不知道的人手中来获得。 —

Well, I would secure for myself a fortune independent of him, even if I acquired it by placing my interests in hands unknown to him. —
”邓格拉夫人尽管努力但还是脸红了。 —

” Madame Danglars blushed, in spite of all her efforts.
“命运是不可预测的。”

“Stay,” said Monte Cristo, as though he had not observed her confusion, “I have heard of a lucky hit that was made yesterday on the Neapolitan bonds.”
“停下来,”蒙特克里斯托说,好像没有注意到她的困惑,“我听说昨天在那不勒斯债券上有个赚大的消息。”

“I have none—nor have I ever possessed any; —
“我没有-我从来没有拥有过任何。” —

but really we have talked long enough of money, count, we are like two stockbrokers; —
“但是,真的,我们已经谈论金钱谈得够久了,伯爵,我们就像两个股票经纪人; —

have you heard how fate is persecuting the poor Villeforts?”
你听说费尔泰先生一家怎么倒霉吗?”

“What has happened?” said the count, simulating total ignorance.
“发生了什么事?”伯爵装作一无所知的样子。

“You know the Marquis of Saint-Méran died a few days after he had set out on his journey to Paris, and the marchioness a few days after her arrival?”
“你知道圣梅朗侯爵在他去巴黎的旅途上几天后去世了,而侯爵夫人则在她到达几天后也去世了?”

“Yes,” said Monte Cristo, “I have heard that; —
“是的,”蒙特克里斯托说,“我听说过; —

but, as Claudius said to Hamlet, ‘it is a law of nature; —
但是,就像克劳狄斯对哈姆雷特说的那样,‘这是自然法则; —

their fathers died before them, and they mourned their loss; —
他们的父亲先去世了,他们为此哀悼过; —

they will die before their children, who will, in their turn, grieve for them.’”
他们将在子女之前去世,而子女们又将为此而悲伤。’”

“But that is not all.”
“但那还不是全部。”

“Not all!”
“不是全部!”

“No; they were going to marry their daughter——”
“不,他们原本要把女儿嫁给弗朗茨·德枚那伊先生。这婚事取消了吗?”

“To M. Franz d’Épinay. Is it broken off?”
“是的。”

“Yesterday morning, it appears, Franz declined the honor.”
“昨天早上,看起来弗朗茨拒绝了这份荣誉。”

“Indeed? And is the reason known?”
“是吗?原因已经知道了吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“How extraordinary! And how does M. de Villefort bear it?”
“太奇怪了!维尔福先生会怎么想?”

“As usual. Like a philosopher.”
“和往常一样。像个哲学家。”

Danglars returned at this moment alone.
此刻只有唐格拉回来了。

“Well,” said the baroness, “do you leave M. Cavalcanti with your daughter?”
“好吧,男爵夫人,你是不是把卡瓦尔坎蒂先生托付给了你的女儿?”

“And Mademoiselle d’Armilly,” said the banker; “do you consider her no one? —
“而且阿米丽小姐呢?”银行家说,“你认为她是个无关紧要的人吗?” —

” Then, turning to Monte Cristo, he said, “Prince Cavalcanti is a charming young man, is he not? —
“然后,转向蒙蒂克里斯托,他问道:“卡瓦尔坎蒂王子是个迷人的年轻人,是吗?” —

But is he really a prince?”
“但是他真的是个王子吗?”

“I will not answer for it,” said Monte Cristo. —
“我不能确定,”蒙蒂克里斯托说。 —

“His father was introduced to me as a marquis, so he ought to be a count; —
“他的父亲被介绍给我是一个侯爵,所以他应该是个伯爵; —

but I do not think he has much claim to that title.”
“但我不认为他对这个头衔有太多的资格。”

“Why?” said the banker. “If he is a prince, he is wrong not to maintain his rank; —
“怎么了?”银行家说,“如果他是个王子,他就错了,不该否认自己的身世; —

I do not like anyone to deny his origin.”
“我不喜欢有人否认自己的来历。”

“Oh, you are a thorough democrat,” said Monte Cristo, smiling.
“哦,你是一个彻底的民主主义者”,蒙特克里斯托笑着说。

“But do you see to what you are exposing yourself?” said the baroness. —
“但你明白你自己暴露在什么风险之下吗?”男爵夫人说。 —

“If, perchance, M. de Morcerf came, he would find M. Cavalcanti in that room, where he, the betrothed of Eugénie, has never been admitted.”
“如果,万一莫尔塞夫先生来了,他会发现卡瓦尔坎蒂先生在那间房间里,而他作为尤琴妮的未婚夫从未被准许进入那里。”

“You may well say, perchance,” replied the banker; —
“你说得对,万一的可能性很大,”银行家回答道; —

“for he comes so seldom, it would seem only chance that brings him.”
“因为他来得如此少,似乎只是偶然使他来到这里。”

“But should he come and find that young man with your daughter, he might be displeased.”
“但是如果他来了,发现你的女儿和那个年轻人在一起,他可能会不高兴。”

“He? You are mistaken. M. Albert would not do us the honor to be jealous; —
“他?你搞错了。阿尔贝会把嫉妒光荣赐予我们; —

he does not like Eugénie sufficiently. Besides, I care not for his displeasure.”
他并不十分喜欢尤琴妮。而且,我不在乎他的不悦。”

“Still, situated as we are——”
“但是,考虑到我们的处境——”

“Yes, do you know how we are situated? At his mother’s ball he danced once with Eugénie, and M. Cavalcanti three times, and he took no notice of it.”
“是的,你知道我们的处境吗?在他母亲的舞会上,他和尤琴妮只跳了一次舞,而与卡瓦尔坎蒂先生跳了三次舞,他对此毫不介意。”

The valet announced the Vicomte Albert de Morcerf. —
仆人宣布维康特·阿尔贝·德·莫尔塞夫子爵到了。 —

The baroness rose hastily, and was going into the study, when Danglars stopped her.
男爵夫人匆匆站起来,准备走进书房,但当格朗烦住了她。

“Let her alone,” said he.
“让她一个人呆着吧,”他说。

She looked at him in amazement. Monte Cristo appeared to be unconscious of what passed. —
她惊讶地看着他,蒙特克里斯托似乎没有察觉到发生的事情。 —

Albert entered, looking very handsome and in high spirits. —
阿尔伯特进来了,他看起来非常英俊,情绪高涨。 —

He bowed politely to the baroness, familiarly to Danglars, and affectionately to Monte Cristo. —
他对男爵夫人礼貌地点头,亲近地对待邓格拉,亲切地对待蒙特克里斯托。 —

Then turning to the baroness: “May I ask how Mademoiselle Danglars is?” said he.
然后转向男爵夫人:“我能问问丹格拉小姐现在怎么样吗?”他说。

“She is quite well,” replied Danglars quickly; “she is at the piano with M. Cavalcanti.”
“她很好,”邓格拉迅速回答道,“她和嘉华康蒂先生在钢琴边。”

Albert retained his calm and indifferent manner; —
阿尔伯特保持着冷静而漠然的态度; —

he might feel perhaps annoyed, but he knew Monte Cristo’s eye was on him. —
也许他感到有些烦恼,但他知道蒙特克里斯托在注视着他。 —

“M. Cavalcanti has a fine tenor voice,” said he, “and Mademoiselle Eugénie a splendid soprano, and then she plays the piano like Thalberg. —
“嘉华康蒂先生的男高音嗓音很好,”他说,“而丹格拉小姐的女高音嗓音也很出色,而且她还像塔尔贝格一样弹钢琴。 —

The concert must be a delightful one.”
这场音乐会一定很美妙。”

“They suit each other remarkably well,” said Danglars. —
“他们非常相配,”邓格拉说道。 —

Albert appeared not to notice this remark, which was, however, so rude that Madame Danglars blushed.
阿尔贝似乎没有注意到这个评论,然而它如此粗鲁,以至于达格拉夫人脸红了。

“I, too,” said the young man, “am a musician—at least, my masters used to tell me so; —
“我也是,”年轻人说,“我是一个音乐家——至少,我的老师们经常告诉我是这样的; —

but it is strange that my voice never would suit any other, and a soprano less than any.”
但是奇怪的是,我的声音从来都不适合其他任何一种,尤其是女高音。”

Danglars smiled, and seemed to say, “It is of no consequence. —
达格拉夫人微笑着,似乎在说:“这无关紧要。” —

” Then, hoping doubtless to effect his purpose, he said, —“The prince and my daughter were universally admired yesterday. —
然后,他无疑希望达到他的目的,他说:“昨天,王子和我的女儿受到了普遍的赞赏。 —

You were not of the party, M. de Morcerf?”
你不在那个聚会中吗,莫尔塞夫先生?”

“What prince?” asked Albert.
“什么王子?”阿尔贝问道。

“Prince Cavalcanti,” said Danglars, who persisted in giving the young man that title.
“卡瓦尔坎蒂王子,”达格拉夫人坚持给年轻人这个头衔。

“Pardon me,” said Albert, “I was not aware that he was a prince. —
“请原谅,”阿尔贝说,“我不知道他是个王子。” —

And Prince Cavalcanti sang with Mademoiselle Eugénie yesterday? —
并且卡瓦尔坎蒂王子昨天和尤金妮小姐一起唱歌了吗? —

It must have been charming, indeed. I regret not having heard them. —
那一定非常迷人。我很遗憾没有听到他们。 —

But I was unable to accept your invitation, having promised to accompany my mother to a German concert given by the Baroness of Château-Renaud.”
但是我无法接受你的邀请,因为我答应陪我的母亲去参加由沙特鲁勒伯爵夫人主办的一场德国音乐会。

This was followed by rather an awkward silence.
接着,尴尬的沉默随之而来。

“May I also be allowed,” said Morcerf, “to pay my respects to Mademoiselle Danglars?”
“我也可以去拜见邓格拉小姐吗?”蒙塞夫问道。

“Wait a moment,” said the banker, stopping the young man; —
“等一下,”银行家叫停了年轻人。 —

“do you hear that delightful cavatina? Ta, ta, ta, ti, ta, ti, ta, ta; —
“你听到那美妙的咏叹调了吗?塔,塔,塔,提,塔,提,塔,塔; —

it is charming, let them finish—one moment. Bravo, bravi, brava! —
太美妙了,让他们演奏完毕,稍等片刻。好极了,好样的! —

” The banker was enthusiastic in his applause.
”银行家对此热情洋溢地鼓掌。

“Indeed,” said Albert, “it is exquisite; —
“确实,”阿尔贝尔说道,“太妙了; —

it is impossible to understand the music of his country better than Prince Cavalcanti does. —
没有人比卡瓦尔坎蒂王子更能理解他的国家的音乐了。 —

You said prince, did you not? But he can easily become one, if he is not already; —
你说王子,对吗?但是如果他还不是王子,他很容易成为一名; —

it is no uncommon thing in Italy. But to return to the charming musicians—you should give us a treat, Danglars, without telling them there is a stranger. —
这在意大利并不罕见。但是回到这些迷人的音乐家上来,邓格拉,你应该给我们一个特别的表演,千万别告诉他们有个陌生人在场。 —

Ask them to sing one more song; it is so delightful to hear music in the distance, when the musicians are unrestrained by observation.”
请他们再唱一首歌吧;远处传来音乐真是让人愉悦,当音乐家们不受观察的束缚时。

Danglars was quite annoyed by the young man’s indifference. He took Monte Cristo aside.
当年轻人漠不关心时,但杜林格对此感到非常恼火。他拉着蒙特克里斯托到一边。

“What do you think of our lover?” said he.
“你对我们的求婚者有何看法?”他说。

“He appears cool. But, then your word is given.”
“他似乎很冷漠。但既然你说过会答应的。”

“Yes, doubtless I have promised to give my daughter to a man who loves her, but not to one who does not. —
“是的,无疑地我答应将我的女儿嫁给一个爱她的人,而不是一个不爱她的人。 —

See him there, cold as marble and proud like his father. —
看着他,冷如大理石,傲慢如父亲。 —

If he were rich, if he had Cavalcanti’s fortune, that might be pardoned. —
如果他富有,如果他拥有卡瓦尔坎蒂的财富,或许可以原谅。 —

Ma foi, I haven’t consulted my daughter; —
,我没有征询过我的女儿的意见; —

but if she has good taste——”
但如果她有好的品味——”

“Oh,” said Monte Cristo, “my fondness may blind me, but I assure you I consider Morcerf a charming young man who will render your daughter happy and will sooner or later attain a certain amount of distinction, and his father’s position is good.”
“哦,”蒙特克里斯托说,“我的偏爱也许会蒙蔽我的眼睛,但我向你保证,我认为莫尔塞夫是个迷人的年轻人,他会让你的女儿幸福,并且迟早会取得一定程度的成就,而他父亲的地位也不错。”

“Hem,” said Danglars.
“嗯,”杜林格说。

“Why do you doubt?”
“你为什么怀疑?”

“The past—that obscurity on the past.”
过去——过去的模糊。

“But that does not affect the son.”
但这并不影响儿子。

“Very true.”
非常正确。

“Now, I beg of you, don’t go off your head. —
现在,我请求你,不要发疯。 —

It’s a month now that you have been thinking of this marriage, and you must see that it throws some responsibility on me, for it was at my house you met this young Cavalcanti, whom I do not really know at all.”
你已经思考了一个月的婚姻问题,你必须明白这对我来说有些责任,因为你是在我家遇到这个名叫卡瓦尔坎蒂的年轻人的,我对他一点也不了解。

“But I do.”
但我了解。

“Have you made inquiry?”
你有过打听吗?

“Is there any need of that! Does not his appearance speak for him? And he is very rich.”
有这个必要吗!难道他的外表不说明问题吗?而且他非常有钱。

“I am not so sure of that.”
我对此并不确定。

“And yet you said he had money.”
可是你说他有钱。

“Fifty thousand livres—a mere trifle.”
五万里弗,仅仅是一点点。

“He is well educated.”
他受过良好的教育。

“Hem,” said Monte Cristo in his turn.
嗯,蒙特·克里斯托也说道。

“He is a musician.”
他是个音乐家。

“So are all Italians.”
所有的意大利人都是如此。

“Come, count, you do not do that young man justice.”
“来吧,伯爵,你对那个年轻人评价有失公正。”

“Well, I acknowledge it annoys me, knowing your connection with the Morcerf family, to see him throw himself in the way. —
“嗯,我承认看到他闯进来,知道他与莫塞夫家族有关系,真让我心烦。” —

” Danglars burst out laughing.
“邓格拉突然笑了起来。”

“What a Puritan you are!” said he; “that happens every day.”
“你真是个清教徒!这种事天天都有。”

“But you cannot break it off in this way; the Morcerfs are depending on this union.”
“但你不能这样断了这段关系;莫塞夫家族都指望着这个联姻。”

“Indeed.”
“是吗。”

“Positively.”
“确实。”

“Then let them explain themselves; you should give the father a hint, you are so intimate with the family.”
“那你让他们自己解释吧;你和他们家庭关系这么亲密,应该给父亲暗示一下。”

“I?—where the devil did you find out that?”
“我?你到底是从哪里听说的?”

“At their ball; it was apparent enough. —
“在他们的舞会上;那很明显。” —

Why, did not the countess, the proud Mercédès, the disdainful Catalane, who will scarcely open her lips to her oldest acquaintances, take your arm, lead you into the garden, into the private walks, and remain there for half an hour?”
“你说什么呢?难道伯爵夫人,那个傲慢的梅赛德斯,那个高傲的加泰罗尼亚人,几乎不和她的最老的朋友说话的人,牵着你的手臂,领你走到花园里,到私人小径上,然后在那里待上半个小时?”

“Ah, baron, baron,” said Albert, “you are not listening—what barbarism in a megalomaniac like you!”
“啊,伯爵,伯爵,”阿尔贝说,“你根本没在听我说什么,你这个妄自尊大的野蛮人!”

“Oh, don’t worry about me, Sir Mocker,” said Danglars; then turning to Monte Cristo he said:
“哦,别担心我,嘲弄者先生”,当当拉尔说道,然后转向蒙德克里斯托说:

“But will you undertake to speak to the father?”
“如果你愿意,你能和他谈谈吗?”

“Willingly, if you wish it.”
“如果你愿意,我愿意。”

“But let it be done explicitly and positively. —
“但要明确而坚决地办好。 —

If he demands my daughter let him fix the day—declare his conditions; —
如果他要求我的女儿,让他确定日期,说明条件; —

in short, let us either understand each other, or quarrel. —
总之,要么我们互相理解,要么就吵架。 —

You understand—no more delay.”
你明白吗?不能再拖延了。”

“Yes, sir, I will give my attention to the subject.”
“是的,先生,我会注意这个问题。”

“I do not say that I await with pleasure his decision, but I do await it. —
“我不能说我会高兴地等待他的决定,但的确我在等待。 —

A banker must, you know, be a slave to his promise. —
银行家必须知道,他要信守诺言。 —

” And Danglars sighed as M. Cavalcanti had done half an hour before.
”当达雷尔像卡瓦尔坎蒂先生半小时前那样叹息时,蒙特克里斯托更加怀疑他了。

“Bravi! bravo! brava!” cried Morcerf, parodying the banker, as the selection came to an end. —
“Bravi!bravo!brava!”莫塞夫嘲弄着银行家,当那选择结束时。 —

Danglars began to look suspiciously at Morcerf, when someone came and whispered a few words to him.
当达雷尔开始怀疑莫塞夫时,有人过来低声对他说了几句话。

“I shall soon return,” said the banker to Monte Cristo; “wait for me. —
“我马上回来,”银行家对蒙德克里斯托说,“等我一下。 —

I shall, perhaps, have something to say to you. —
也许,我会有一些事情要告诉你。 —

” And he went out.
“然后他离开了。”

The baroness took advantage of her husband’s absence to push open the door of her daughter’s study, and M. Andrea, who was sitting before the piano with Mademoiselle Eugénie, started up like a jack-in-the-box. —
女巴伦开门进入女儿的书房,利用丈夫不在的机会。而与奥古斯丁小姐在钢琴前坐着的安德烈先生却像一个弹簧玩具一样惊起来。 —

Albert bowed with a smile to Mademoiselle Danglars, who did not appear in the least disturbed, and returned his bow with her usual coolness. —
艾伯特微笑着向当格拉小姐鞠了一躬,而她却一点也不显得不安,冷静地回了一个鞠躬。 —

Cavalcanti was evidently embarrassed; he bowed to Morcerf, who replied with the most impertinent look possible. —
卡瓦尔坎蒂显然感到尴尬; 他向莫尔赛夫鞠了一躬,而后者却以最傲慢的眼神回应。 —

Then Albert launched out in praise of Mademoiselle Danglars’ voice, and on his regret, after what he had just heard, that he had been unable to be present the previous evening.
然后,艾伯特开始大力赞美当格拉小姐的声音,并表达了他因为前一晚未能出席而感到遗憾。

Cavalcanti, being left alone, turned to Monte Cristo.
卡瓦尔坎蒂独自一人待在那里,转向蒙特克里斯托。

“Come,” said Madame Danglars, “leave music and compliments, and let us go and take tea.”
“走吧,”当格拉夫人说,“不要再弹琴和互赞了,我们去喝茶吧。”

“Come, Louise,” said Mademoiselle Danglars to her friend.
“走吧,路易丝,”当格拉小姐对她的朋友说。

They passed into the next drawing-room, where tea was prepared. —
他们走进下一个客厅,那里准备了茶。 —

Just as they were beginning, in the English fashion, to leave the spoons in their cups, the door again opened and Danglars entered, visibly agitated. —
正当他们按照英式习惯将勺子放在杯子里的时候,大开门,当格拉尔斯进来了,显得非常焦虑。 —

Monte Cristo observed it particularly, and by a look asked the banker for an explanation.
蒙德克里斯托特别观察到了这一点,通过眼神向银行家询问解释的意思。

“I have just received my courier from Greece,” said Danglars.
“我刚刚收到了来自希腊的电报,”当格拉尔斯说。

“Ah, yes,” said the count; “that was the reason of your running away from us.”
“啊,是的,”伯爵说,“这就是你离开我们的原因。”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“How is King Otho getting on?” asked Albert in the most sprightly tone.
“奥托国王怎么样了?”阿尔贝用最活泼的语气问。

Danglars cast another suspicious look towards him without answering, and Monte Cristo turned away to conceal the expression of pity which passed over his features, but which was gone in a moment.
当格拉尔斯怀疑地又朝他看了一眼而不回答,蒙德克里斯托转身遮掩住他脸上一闪而过的怜悯表情,但转瞬即逝。

“We shall go together, shall we not?” said Albert to the count.
“我们要一起去吗?”阿尔贝对伯爵说。

“If you like,” replied the latter.
“如果你愿意,”后者回答道。

Albert could not understand the banker’s look, and turning to Monte Cristo, who understood it perfectly,—“Did you see, ” said he, “how he looked at me?”
阿尔贝无法理解银行家的表情,转向蒙德克里斯托,后者完全理解了,他说,“你看到了吗?他怎么看着我?”

“Yes,” said the count; “but did you think there was anything particular in his look?”
“是的,”伯爵说,“但你觉得他的表情有什么特别之处吗?”

“Indeed, I did; and what does he mean by his news from Greece?”
“确实,我觉得有;他所说的来自希腊的消息是什么意思?”

“How can I tell you?”
“我怎么能告诉你呢?”

“Because I imagine you have correspondents in that country.”
“因为我猜想你在那个国家有通信联络。”

Monte Cristo smiled significantly.
蒙特克里斯托微笑着表示赞同。

“Stop,” said Albert, “here he comes. —
“等一下,”阿尔伯特说,“他来了。” —

I shall compliment Mademoiselle Danglars on her cameo, while the father talks to you.”
“当父亲与你交谈时,我会称赞邓格拉小姐的浮雕。”

“If you compliment her at all, let it be on her voice, at least,” said Monte Cristo.
蒙特克里斯托说:“如果你要夸奖她的话,至少应该是她的声音。”

“No, everyone would do that.”
“不,每个人都会这么做。”

“My dear viscount, you are dreadfully impertinent.”
“亲爱的子爵,你太放肆了。”

Albert advanced towards Eugénie, smiling.
阿尔伯特笑着走向尤金妮。

Meanwhile, Danglars, stooping to Monte Cristo’s ear, “Your advice was excellent,” said he; —
与此同时,当格拉弯下身子对着蒙特克里斯托耳边说:“您的建议非常棒。” —

“there is a whole history connected with the names Fernand and Yanina.”
“费尔南和亚尼那这两个名字有着整个的历史故事。”

“Indeed?” said Monte Cristo.
“真的?”蒙特克里斯托说。

“Yes, I will tell you all; but take away the young man; I cannot endure his presence.”
“是的,我会告诉你一切;但把这个年轻人赶走,我无法容忍他的存在。”

“He is going with me. Shall I send the father to you?”
“他跟我去。我给你送父亲过去吗?”

“Immediately.”
“立刻。”

“Very well.” The count made a sign to Albert and they bowed to the ladies, and took their leave, Albert perfectly indifferent to Mademoiselle Danglars’ contempt, Monte Cristo reiterating his advice to Madame Danglars on the prudence a banker’s wife should exercise in providing for the future.
“好的。”伯爵朝阿尔贝示意,他们向女士们行了一礼,告别离去。阿尔贝对桑格拉小姐的鄙视毫不在意,蒙德克里斯多再次向当格拉夫人强调,作为一位银行家的妻子,她应该在未来的准备中要谨慎行事。

M. Cavalcanti remained master of the field.
卡瓦卡尔汤尼先生依然占据着主导地位。